Monday, April 28, 2014

Shearing day


Shearing day went pretty well considering the start, losing our little guinea and all.  The snow didn't bother me, I find it almost comforting, not to mention it's a helluva lot prettier than the rest of early spring's ugly landscape.

 
So much has happened since then, but I can't talk it up and then forget it as soon as it's over! We now have eight beautiful fleeces and eight naked, shivering sheep with healing cuts...sigh.  Lacey had the worst cut-actually it was more like a huge flap of skin hanging off her side.  Surprisingly though it's the only one that I used tissue glue on that actually stayed closed.  Anything a centimeter or less closes nicely, but larger than that and up on the shoulders where there's a lot of tension and movement in the skin and they pretty much open up again.  But at least the glue provides a bit of a barrier so pathogens can't get in at easily.  We were lucky that it had snowed, since the cuts they sustained would be pretty easy targets for fly strike. Trying to look on the bright side here.  Still, I wish the shearer would slow down just a bit so that wouldn't happen.  Poor Lacey!!

 




 
Removing Princey's horn with gigli wire.  I'm pretty sure he just thought he was getting extra tight hugs...
 
Henry : )

 
 
 
 
 
 
Sniffle...

Lacey and Princey about to fight--the shorn are systematically accosted and beat up. 

Beautiful Mama Ewe

Scared Axle man. Our shearer had the most compliments for his fleece.
 

Brrrr!

Now the skirting begins! I'm almost through Miss Oat's fleece.  I know I save a lot, but it's precious so I don't want to waste any! A lot of second cuts too short for spinning, so I've kept them and will see if I can felt them. Oh wait, I have to learn how to felt first...

After a few days of the sheep being nervous around us:

I'm forgiven!!!
 
 
 
 
 
But nothing ever seems to go to plan, as I've said before.  Henry is seriously lame on his left hind leg, and I had him isolated in a horse stall for six days.  He finally got so stressed one night I decided to put him back with the flock to see how he was walking.  That evening G and I made a bonfire and had dinner out over the fire.  Through the darkness we could here the flock running, bouncing jumping and leaping off the tub.  Not exactly the relaxing evening I had in mind for him.  He was so happy though!! Unfortunately I've had to separate him again, and our vet is coming out tomorrow to check him out.  I also knew he was too thin, but it's not until shearing when you really get the best idea of body condition.  He likely needs serious deworming again. Poor monkey.  I'm wondering if his lack of proper muscle mass has led to his hip injury...He runs like a dog with hip dysplasia, bunny hopping.  Really hoping we can get him better...
 
Well it's time for night duties, and I'll sit in the stall with him for a while and keep him company. 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Henry!!! :(
    Aunt Shana is coming with hugs - poor little kiddo. Hope he's feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete