I love weekends...spent 45 min discussing tractors, 3 pts, and PTOs with my sweety over coffee before morning turnout. Then we headed over to Somerset, Wisconsin to pick up a load of hay. They were small mature bales but there wasn't any mold smell, so we were pleased with that. This time of year if you are short of hay you might tend to get a little desperate and take lower quality hay. But as I've learned even the sheep need clean, high quality forage, and if we deviate from our standards they will inevitably get sick. We paid only $5/bale today, and he threw in 2 for free. Last week we paid $8.50 a bale for 45-50lb bluegrass mix that the horses love, but the sheep aren't too keen on. I'm trying to save the rest of the alfalfa for the lambs, who are still not in top body condition, and Mama Ewe who is a bit of a hard keeper. Also started feeding an extra scoop of grain for the flock per day.
| Heading back over the St. Croix River to Stillwater, Minnesota. |
| Almost home...wild turkey showing us the way. |
I love visiting farms and meeting farmer-type folks. We have a work function to attend tonight in Minneapolis (eyew) so must get my chores done and then try to look presentable for the non-farming folks ; ) Who knows, maybe I'll get to 'talk shop' tonight anyway. G sold seven dozen eggs the other day and he has more people at work asking to join our egg 'co-op'. One woman likes to know the names of the hens, and little tidbits about them. G has had people asking about duck eggs as well, so maybe soon I'll be able to start collecting them before they freeze.
Happy weekend y'all!!

Glad to see these pictures from today!xxMOM
ReplyDeleteOne of mine and Elizabeth's most favorite things to do is go on road trips to try sale horses. Obviously riding the horses is super fun, but what we love the most is going to neat farms, meeting people, and driving around the beautiful country off Long Island! Of course that involves "pull over!" stops to take photos, visit quaint farmers markets, etc. :)
ReplyDeleteSounds perfect Shana : ) I wish I had a bestie here too (other than G of course). So many roads I'd like to drive down, and Amish furniture and antique stores to discover...
ReplyDelete