Monday, March 10, 2014

Pinch me--when something actually goes to plan....

Mr. Flan moved into his new coop yesterday with the Pepper crew. It's been a sad few months for him, locked up in his hospital cage.  As with any rooster introduction there's the potential for the hens to get hurt because of some 'inappropriate exuberance'.  We kept the run door open so the hens didn't feel trapped, and any of them could escape if things turned nasty.
 
 
 
Venga, not impressed, wondering why she wasn't consulted on this decision.



 
Venga freaked out immediately when I put Flan down in the run. She was looking up at me, ready to fly straight up to my shoulder, her safe haven of the past. G was squatting down and was closer so she flew up and watched the action from there. 
 
 
 
 

 
Granny Rose was pretty nervous, and retreated to the coop.  I doubt she was treated very well in her past life.  She came to us pretty battered, and even last winter Mr. Wedge took a dislike to her and the rest of Lorpie's crew.  We'll keep an eye on her and make sure she's adjusting, and for now she's keeping her coat on so she doesn't get hurt.  We trimmed Flan's spurs and rounded off his claws to try to minimize any potential damage. 
 
Pepper and Venga are four years old this month!!
 
Turns out we didn't have to worry! He behaved like a total gentleman. Lot's of dancing and posturing and wattle shaking, and a few mounting attempts with Pearl and Olive, but no aggression whatsoever.  I think that Olive remembered him, since she was the last hen to be in his former flock.  I wonder if the other hens do as well? I'd be really interested to hear of any memory studies for chickens-how long after a separation can they recall another bird that they've known? They do have preferences for cohorts and mates.  We already know they can identify many individuals faces, and roosters can identify at least thirty other roosters by vocals alone.   
 
 

Flan just dwarfs the ladies--he's almost three feet tall.
 
 
G dug a chair out of the snow for me and I sat to observe the interactions, and had the pleasant surprise of Pepper seeking out interaction with me instead.  She sat on my lap for a good twenty minutes while I petted her.  G pruned the apple tree beside us while it all went down.  He just can't sit still EVER so it was his way of working while making sure things were going well.  He missed the farm a lot this month! He was away for half of February after all.
 
When it was time for night duties I encouraged him to go and spend some time with the sheep while I mucked Winny's stall.  He sat in the barn and called to little Henry, and it didn't take long before he was swarmed by four sheep all demanding attention.  I joined him, and we sat in the hay petting them for what must have been fifteen minutes.  Princey and Henry both laid down to chew their cud and try to hog the best petting spots.  Starburst and Lace still got plenty though.  It still boggles me that they seek out affection like this. 

I've been reading about sheep behaviour and cognition, so I hope to share a few interesting quotes soon.  Right now however, my dinner is waiting, and Fern the house chook is anxious to go and watch TV with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment