Monday, March 3, 2014

'Blog fade' says G...hrumpf. Some notes from last week.

Feb 26:

I finally got inside for a lunch break after a very busy morning prepping for the coming blizzard.  Weather radio is warning that travel may be dangerous or impossible if the high winds drift snow across roads.  They are telling people to bring emergency kits in their vehicles, and if they become stuck to stay inside their vehicle. Yep-winter can be life threatening during a mere trip to the grocery store.  So we'll see how it shapes up this afternoon--if it gets bad then I just won't be able to go and watch the dressage class yet again.
 
The sort of things that take up my time on days like this are thawing and refilling all of the waterers in the garage, the pepper coop and ducks need fresh water twice a day (only the ducks have been getting a heated waterer, and they usually empty it by midday). I chopped ice from Oakley's hooves for the second day in a row.  Soaked almost a full bale of hay for the horses (requires 8-10 full buckets of water to do that) so that they'd have plenty for the day and I wouldn't have to do it later when there are 45mph winds.  They are content to stay in the barn today out of the wind.
 
I shovelled drifted snow and chopped ice away from the barn door track and made sure that I could close it if necessary. The storm should mostly serve up west and northwest winds, so I may not need to close it (it faces south).  Oakley stresses a bit when he's locked in, so I tend to only do that in extreme circumstances. 
 
I secured the poly on two of the doors in the chook palace, and on the west-facing window that was just getting hammered by those winds...The chooks were pleased when I filled both of their feeders with new pellets, but they seem pretty nervous about the howling and shaking going on.  Their roost area was only -2C and it's -21C outside, so I'm pretty pleased with that.  Will just have to collect eggs multiple times today so they don't freeze.
 
The guineas' coop is so drafty that it was-10C in there this morning.  By midday it was -6C and they looked a little more comfortable.  I secured the poly over the windows and put up weather stripping along the door--the wind was driving right at it and I hadn't realized that was a huge source of draft before! I'll bring them out some greens and eggs later as a treat. Any frozen eggs end up becoming animal food after we cook them--when the shells crack they are no longer safe for human consumption. 
 
I broke up a fight between the drakes this morning. Not sure how much of this behaviour is related to the broody ducks (two of three have been sitting on eggs) or just general cabin fever.  Chickens and guineas are incredibly active birds but I doubt they come close to the ducks.  Our ducks go on long walkabouts every day in the summer, and I wouldn't be surprised if they walk over a kilometer per day. Not too shabby considering their legs are maybe a fifth of their overall height. Try tying your legs together at the knees and see how far you get!
 
Look out for broody Tank Duck!! (apparently the body language, puffed up feathers and squeaking of broody ducks is terrifying to others)
 



A few photos of snowmaggeddon from last week:


 
 





 

 
 






The duck run roof collapsed inward, but was still hanging on, so all I had to do was use a bucket to scoop all of the heavy snow off, then pop the arch back the proper way!  The arch was made of some free livestock fencing our neigbour gave us.




Pepper coop and poly tunnel--have to keep clearing and digging out the snow so the run will warm up on sunny days!



So gorgeous!!

 
 

 



Taken through the upstairs window.



 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment