Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Runoff


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEKIAteCDYU

They really do say "bob WHITE!" 

Still learning how to use this blogger site--so forgive the unsophisticated layout.  Just learned that if you click on the photos they will open up full size.

Lorpie has been having a few good days, though she's got some crop stasis going on again.  So she's just on fluids today and soft foods, and she has to put up with me massaging her crop a few times an hour. She's enjoying having more room to roam, and she especially likes terrorizing Jack and Tulip, though they are safe in their cage and she can't do anything but give them threatening vocals and stare down at them.  She's actually more like herself than she's been in months, and it's good to see her storming around and getting into trouble.  But we just don't know if her body is going to give up on her.

The sheep were napping in the sun this morning, but I imagine they'll be hiding in the barn later this week when it starts to get up into the 70s.  Shearing booked for early Sunday morning so hopefully it won't be too hot, and we'll have to see how stressful it is for them.  The older ewes have all experienced this before, but the lambs have not...(Axle, Starburst and Lace) Hopefully the shearer will work quickly, and I'll be able to trim their hooves and check for footrot at the same time.  Their paddock isn't too wet so I'm not too worried, but you never know.

I have a lot to study before the TRC course, and I doubt that I'll have time this weekend--the MN Horse Expo is on at the fairgrounds, and we'll have nice weather so will likely be in the garden as much as we can. I need to ride Winston again to get an idea how bad his barn sourness really is, and I want to do some ground work with Oak too--I'm pretty sure I taught him to target on the handle of my crop last night--so I might try again tonight and see if he remembers, or whether it was just coincidence and he was checking the crop for treats.  He's surprisingly good with voice cues. The hard part is getting and keeping his attention. When he hears something and puts his head up all the way I'm reminded how huge he is, and I feel like someone who's been shrunk to mouse size in a fantasy story--jumping up and down waving my arms to be heard by the giants.

I'd better get some work done outside before the thunderstorms arrive! It's already so messy out there in the paddocks... Our pocket gopher is digging again now that the ground is thawing--apparently they help with drainage and with aerating the soil.  The holes he makes aren't big enough to be a danger to Oakley.




The ducks don't seem to mind that everything is flooding...Photo from last night. Maybe we'll be lucky and they'll eat mosquito larvae. I'm sure they'd happily go to work in the fields for us!

Have a great day all!

D.


No comments:

Post a Comment