Monday, May 23, 2016

A few May happenings



It turns out that the freakish frost damaged many of our tomato plants even though we covered them. How disappointing. G had only put them outside 2 days before the p90 of late frost date. I guess we have learned our lesson.



I have been trying for over a month to find us free wood chips.  Normally the arborists will drop them off.  We need a large tree taken down and a consult on a few others.  But no luck.  So thanks to Glenn's craigslist searching we found 18 yards of mulch at almost half of normal bulk retail cost. Now comes the hard work.





Naked sheep in the lovely cool grass



Zane did so well with my parents! We had a great visit, but it was too short as always.



Planting my tulsi tea



Mycelium madness! This is all because G inoculated our wood chips last year with stropharia.
Loving my new hori hori garden knife.



A HUGE Lincoln Longwool ram at the Shepherd's Harvest Festival.  They had lambs for sale.
It was very tempting.



This is why stropharia is known as Garden Giant.  This is the fruiting body! They pop up everywhere.


Our neighbours just up the dirt road lost a bee hive last night to this young black bear.  I really wish we had a trail cam!



So by the end of Sunday we had this electric set up.  I have been meaning to do this for a long time and this bear photo was just the encouragement I needed.  Still have to finish the mulch. 



Thunderstorms are forecast for this week, and radar says the rain will start this morning.  We really need it.  The pasture pond is almost reduced to a mudflat, and the backyard pond is so low we've blocked the ducks from it.


I had to cancel Zane's vet appointment for his ear infection last week because Oakley wasn't moving right and the vet and I were concerned about laminitis.  The vet and my farrier magically were able to coordinate and arrive at the same time to assess Oakley.  We are thinking that this shoe change five weeks ago wasn't the right thing.  He's not moving right at all.  My driving coach was pretty shocked on Friday after he saw him.  We working on Winston instead, since it wouldn't be fair to Oakley to ask him to work when he's not comfortable.

The farrier has ordered new shoes and this week we will try them out. Hopefully I can reschedule poor Zane. I know he's in pain, and he's not himself.

Something tragic happened this weekend on the farm, but I'm not ready to talk about it, and I need to get out and do some errands before the rain starts.  It could be a major storm and I want to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment