I've felt uneasy for the last few days, so I figured I needed to write and get this out.
This week I called one of the farm stores that I go to for some specialty feed. They had lost or messed up my order, and seemed very disorganized. I was frustrated but then the man on the phone confessed that they'd been struggling since the manager had died suddenly a few months ago.
This was shocking news to me. I didn't know him well at all. He was a tall fair haired man a bit on the shy side who ordered my special sheep feed for me and wasn't much for small talk. I always tried to draw him out a bit, and at least make him smile.
I saw that my sheep vet had written on his obituary page. They'd just been running cattle through the chute together the week before he died. I had no idea that he was a farmer, but apparently it was something he'd wanted to do all of his too-short life. So at least he was doing it. I don't know how he died, but apparently it was on his farm.
Mortality has been on my mind a lot. Sometimes we know how much time we have. Mostly we don't. Which is better? What do we do with that??
He was 41 years old. Glenn is 41 years old.
No comments:
Post a Comment