Wednesday, February 3, 2016

February blizzard that was

So many days lately have been a blur. I'm trying to keep on top of things, I'm exhausted, and G has had a set back in his recovery from surgery.  Luckily we got him to see the surgeon today despite the 10 inches of snow that fell overnight.  I almost got the truck stuck in the driveway. What a proper epic blizzard it was! I wish we could hunker down here together for the next three months.  Maybe that's what it's like to live in the north? I think I'd love it. 


Usually I'm pretty good at making sure we are stocked up on everything we need, but with feeling extra pressure lately and just recently getting my truck back from the shop I haven't been on top of things.  After checking weather radar on the pending storm I figured I had to get some winter patties for both the hives (from the supplier 15 min from our house), so roughly 45 min round trip, get dressed in keeper gear and get them installed before the forecasted 10 am arrival of snowpocalypse 2016.  I'd checked the hives a few days earlier and determined that they could use some extra help.




We were really short on bird foods as well, they've been going through a lot more lately since so many of them are laying.  But unfortunately I only had time to run out to the bee supplier and got the patties installed literally ten minutes before the snow started. Even then I had exposed bees freezing to death while I worked as quickly as I could. I think it was a necessary sacrifice.

With the way it was coming down I knew it wouldn't be a fun or safe trip to the farm store for bird food. G begged me not to go. I don't like feeling like we couldn't hunker down and keep all beasts ok for a week or more. So I didn't go. And then this happened.


This is the county road we live on. Pretty good snow cover already!



Apologies for the un-edited photos.


Zane hasn't paid much attention to the sheep so far, but this day he decided to flush them. Not happy about this.I don't know how to deal with his barking at the horses and sheep.



The wind was driving so hard that every crack in the barn was spewing snow.  The sheep finally took shelter inside when it was clear their outdoor shelters were too exposed. They were all encrusted in snowy diamonds. I locked them in the barn, stacked hay bales up against their enclosure to block the drafts and blowing snow. 

The horses were warm in their blankets, Oakley had the full neck attachment on since I knew he would stand out in the blizzard when he could. The relatively warm temperatures meant  the snow melted on his exposed neck and he could get too cold.  This morning his eyes are swollen from wind burn. I'm sure my face looks pretty bad from just a few hours out there. But I loved it.

*

This morning, if this gives any indication of how strongly the wind was blowing, from that little gap, all of this snow.




But the plus side? 


I could spend hours looking at the snow sculptures, the wind is the most brilliant artist, and the winter light gets to show off her works to whoever is brave enough to venture out and observe the magic.

It's a peace I just don't experience in the heat of the summer.  So for now I will bask.  My frozen red cheeks, cold chapped hands, happy heart.










Sleeping garden.

The workers were supposed to start building our deck today! Nope.















No comments:

Post a Comment