Should I just list every single item that I find useful in every different season? I've been wanting to write some essential gear posts, because I really think they might help other people. I like things that work well for the intended purpose, I don't like wasting money.
G often says to me, "Two is one, one is none." What this means is that only having one of something you need will inevitably leave you with exactly zero when that thing is lost, broken, stolen. And while he might get frustrated with my pack rat tendencies when it comes to saving things like articles of clothing or extra gear for animals, I know many times we've lost something or needed to farm hack something and I have just the right miscellaneous junk put away so we can MacGyver something together. It's a good feeling. I simply don't have the time to drive out to find replacements for gear that breaks or is lost.
With the overnight temperatures dropping to -28 Celsius we've noticed what equipment stands up to the cold, and what doesn't.
As always, I have several pairs of HeatSaver insulated leather gloves.
http://www.oregonglove.com/collections/heatsaver/products/heatsaver-lined-pigskin-1
If one pair gets soaked and frozen by midday, I will always have a fresh dry pair to use for the afternoon. They stay very supple for the most part, but I'd really gotten them wet while soaking hay and cleaning water buckets, so I insisted on showing G how they had then frozen solid and I could use them like castanets. If I try to use other gloves in these conditions, I inevitably become stuck to metal.
At -25 C, our flexible tubs will shatter. They had a good lifespan, but still I wasn't happy to have to go and buy a replacement at $25 a pop. I use these every day, multiple times a day for soaking Oakley's hay.
http://us.tubtrugs.com/
So this week I lost a tub to the cold, and then the marine hose I use in the barn (also for hay prep) shattered as well. I have to uncouple the hose from the frost free hydrant in the barn immediately after I turn off the water, or the hose will end up full of ice in under a minute, and in order to use it again later I would have to bring it into the house to thaw. Well I guess there was just enough ice in it to block water flow, so I stupidly tried to bend it and find the block--it's worked before! But instead the outer vinyl shell just snapped and a large piece flew off, and then G got to hear a few swear words from me.
So unfortunately I had to buy a proper farm and ranch hose today, to the tune of $45 bucks. It will pretty much last forever, but it was still time out of my day. In past years I would just carry buckets to do this chore, but carrying an extra 30 buckets of water a day wouldn't be kind to my shoulders at the moment. Next year I think I should hit the gym in September, just to prepare myself for the work of the winter!
I guess we are just trying to learn all of the time. What works, what doesn't, and why. What's a good substitute, what we shouldn't bother with. Our time here is precious. Glenn's time spent at work away from the farm is what makes the money to keep us going, and that isn't to be taken for granted either.
So with that said I'd better sign off for now and bring in a few loads of fire wood. That's one of the most essential things for us now, for comfort and ambiance. I can't imagine living without a wood stove ever again.

No comments:
Post a Comment