So we've had our new dog for almost a week, and I have to say it's been pretty challenging. Working on the farm isn't very relaxing when you have a barking howling dog in the basement. He's done fine for short periods, but we really have more work to do. WE weren't alerted to any separation anxiety issues by the foster, but maybe things were different for him there because there were other dogs...
I tethered him to our cart frame in front of the garage yesterday so he could be with me while I tried to clean up the bantam area. The bantams were not too pleased about a big black dog being there! But after a few minutes they settled down, probably once they realized he couldn't come closer than about 6 feet of their enclosures. I didn't get too much cleaning done, as I kept having to click and reward him for not whining. But it was a start.
I didn't get the stalls mucked, again. I just had to throw a bag of clean shavings on top of the mess so Winston had a dry bed to lay on. Zane (our new dog) has been barking a lot at the horses on the few occasions I have had him out there, but luckily the horses are not getting reactive. Since my time is even more precious now, I've decided that I will have Oakley pull his and Winny's breakfast up the hill to the riding ring every morning. This will accomplish a few things. Less manure for me to pick out of the paddock (very time consuming if it's already frozen), the riding ring (it's also pasture, not a sand ring) needs more fertility so having them fertilize it for us will help, and it gives Oakley a job first thing in the morning. We tried it for the first time yesterday, and he did great. He knows when he hears carabiners clanking and there are ropes on his back that something is about to happen.
***
My friends back home have three farm dogs and they make it look so easy! The dogs leave the livestock alone, and are pretty much free to roam. Of course that takes years of training, and doesn't just happen overnight.
Zane was very well behaved at his vet appointment the other day, which I was grateful for. After owning an aggressive dog for almost 12 years you could say I have some anxiety about being in public places with my dog. Zane was just recently neutered, at seven years old, and although he is sweet and gentle with us, I have no idea how he will react in stressful situations.
We have to start his Lyme disease treatment all over again, since the rescue had some differing veterinary advice and Zane did not receive the correct medication. This will take a whole month. His ears and skin are in rough shape, he is on some medications for that and most importantly he is being treated for possible demodex mites, even though his test was negative, and he is getting fish oils and good quality food. When an animal presents like this we always consider that the immune system has just been taxed for so long, without proper nutrition, and they are prone to those mite infestations, and the cycle of inflammation continues. His entire back has been shaved, so he really doesn't look like a collie yet! He is going to be one handsome dude when his coat grows back. In the mean time, I've ordered him a 300 weight warm coat to wear, because sh*t is about to get real, as the saying goes. By that I mean that real winter is about to arrive, tomorrow.
By real winter I mean -20 C. We were really spoiled until now. It may not stay that cold for long, but it will be a wake up call for sure! No exposed skin, don't touch wet metal (even wet polar fleece gloves will stick instantly, and get damaged when you rip them off. so leather is the best). Wind chill will be dangerous, water will freeze in a minute if left exposed. My ipod will also stop working even in the insulated tack room, so if I want to continue to listen to music I have to bring a tupperware full of hot water to the barn, and wrap my ipod in a towel and keep it on the wrapped tupperware.
I've lost my phone charger cord, possibly out in the snow, so unfortunately I can't share any of the photos of Zane I had taken.
Here's one from this week:
And here's one from his foster, before he was shaved:
So handsome!! I've wanted a collie for so many years. Yes, I watched Lassie re-runs as a kid. He is a very very sweet affectionate dog. This will be a tough transition for all of us, but I think he is worth it. After all, we all come with some baggage, right?? And he makes G really really happy...that's the most important thing. I take that back. The most important thing is that he let's me kiss his nose. lol. But I really need some couch time with the birds. ASAP. That brings me a kind of peace like no other.


No comments:
Post a Comment