Monday, December 28, 2015

Snow on the way!

It has been pretty cold for the last few days and nights, down to -14 C and feeling like -19 C with the humidity.  Those are the temperatures that start to make me feel nervous for the birds.  Those are frostbite temperatures.

The ducks have enjoyed having their cozy covered run, bedded down with straw.  The pond is frozen now so we have to give them a little tub of water every day or so to bathe in, or else they try to bathe in their buckets and they spray water everywhere.  I'm trying to keep the run as dry as possible, especially for Aqua duck.  The cold is pretty tough on her. 




Yesterday the backyard hens' run was almost 10 C due to the gorgeous sun, when it was -11 C outside.  That was with the bottom pop door open.  The new design this year has been great for my back since I don't have to stoop to go in, and we are hoping it will get much warmer in there due to the increased size and therefore larger thermal mass.  

Glenn has been working for the past few days on a new house for our indoor bantams (Captain Jack and Kitten, and maybe our Wyandotte Fern)  With the pending arrival of a dog the project has jumped to the top of the priority heap, as we didn't think it would be fair for Jack to be down at floor level with the scary dog--the new house is up nice and high.  Great for the birds, great for my back, and it will double as storage and a place to sprout seeds by the window.  

The wire for the aviary was about $5 per panel at a local hardware store. It's actually wire shelving! 

Maybe next year we can get an wood stove for the garage....it's really cold in there!
 A constant supply of tea and calories are necessary

I've never worked with coloured stains before.  I'm pretty happy with the green I picked for this maple veneer.
Now I want all of my reclaimed furniture projects to be bare, or strip paint down to see the grain of the wood.



G has been doing the construction work, I started the staining but he has been so eager to get it finished that he took over while I drove to a farm store far away yesterday on an important errand.  I had to go and buy some zeolite because I've been having an awful time trying to control ammonia in the chook palace and in Winston's stall.  I have the palace windows open every day, have been adding carbon, but the warm temperatures and G adding horse bedding to the run in his quest for perfect compost has added to my work.  I finally put my foot down and told him NO MORE HORSE BEDDING! I have a sick guinea in the basement, and I have noticed at least three more with voice changes in the palace.  My fear is that they have aspergillus due to the damp autumn we experienced. They are such stressy little birds.  A perfect storm.


Last night at blue hour.  Finishing night duties at -14 C.


Our oak firewood we bought last year is so nice and dry now, we actually can make the wood stove and the house too hot!  I was happy to stay outside last evening while the temperature dropped.  That didn't stop me from coming inside and promptly falling asleep on the couch by the stove with the birds looking on.  I forgot how these cold days drain you! Finally, proper beautiful winter. 




No comments:

Post a Comment