I'm in BC right now and have been here for a few days. Mostly just recovering from a cold and spending time with my parents. We went down to the beach on Sunday and were treated with diving ducks pulling mussels off of the pilings. The smell of clean cold ocean air is something I've missed very much!
I already miss G and the farm of course. I don't quite know what to do with all of this time spent indoors, without chores or responsibilities. I can never quite separate my subconscious from the farm. I will randomly text G an idea for a project, something we need to research this winter, or some funny memory of one of our animals. I found a great online resource for plant ID in pastures, since we both aren't too good at grass ID yet.
I'm very concerned about our muscovy duck Sassy. She was lethargic last week, cold, and anorexic before I left for my trip, and xrays didn't show us what was wrong. Early this morning G took her to our vet friend, so she can tube feed her several times a day, hopefully do some blood work to see if her organs are failing, and try some different medications to hopefully stimulate her appetite. It seems so long ago already, we hatched Sassy from eggs G bought on ebay! Hoping for the best, but I have a feeling that she's been hiding her illness for many weeks, and that does not bode well.
Well I guess that's it for now. G just texted me and I am pleased to hear that he is running power out to the chook palace again. He disconnected it all when he did the paddock expansion, so now has to dig a trench for running the conduit out there, instead of the overhead way we had it before. It's been minus 9C in the mornings there, so it will be nice to have the option of offering some heat and extra light for the birds, especially if they want to stay in and not range on cloudy or windy days. Good thing he is doing this now before the ground freezes for good!
No comments:
Post a Comment