Monday, August 3, 2015

It's August. Pray for rain.

Summer is moving along so fast! I'm exhausted, Glenn is exhausted, but we are managing. Any day that it doesn't get hotter than 26 C I am truly grateful for.  Most days it's 29 or hotter, and it's wearing on me, but I do the best I can.

It helps that there are heirloom tomatoes, cukes, peppers, basil, zucchini and other veg and herbs that we wait for all year, through many months of cold and snow.

What I have to watch for is becoming absent minded.  No, it's not the sign of an aging brain, but a hot and tired one. I was locking up the ducks a few weeks ago while thinking about a friend back home who had told me something that was concerning.  So while I was worrying about her, I forgot to do a head count, and locked out one of the ducks.  Good thing duck lady was standing there behind me looking rather sheepish and I realized my mistake.

We've had a raccoon family around for most of the summer.  It might not have ended well for Pangolin Cocoa Puff if she'd been locked out of the coop overnight.  So now we make sure to do the run down of duties when I come inside.  We list each coop/animal and duty that needs to be done, with a "check" or an "oh sh*t".  

Our neighbour texted me this afternoon and said her father watched a black bear wandering around this morning around 8 am.  We finally put up some electric fence around the bee hives after hearing this news.  Bears love ripping apart bee hives, not just for the honey, but apparently the juicy bee larvae. Yikes. Hope the bear moves along, not causing trouble, and finds his or her way safely.  




We've had a feral budgie (parakeet) living on the property for a while now.  It's male, he's banded, but not tame (yet).  We have named him Budgeree the Destroyer, and we think it fits him quite well. 

This bird house wasn't in quite this condition before his arrival...It used to have a nice little turret in the centre. He chewed it off.  And you can see where he chewed the corner. Funny! He now talks when I call him, and sometimes he flies around our heads, then perches and seems to give us a look that means the food bowl is empty. 






They love their late day free ranging.
 Most of the rest of the day it's too hot for them to be out in the open.



Picked last night!

G is leaving tomorrow for four days, so I will have a lot of harvesting to do.  Not quite sure how I'm going to get everything done.  Except that I've done it many times before. 

It still seems a little daunting.

Any day now I should get the word that our wool has been processed, and I will get a few precious boxes shipped to us from North Dakota.

All I seem to want these days is some down time so I can sit and spin, do some photo editing, or blogging. And rain of course.

It's August in Minnesota. The final push.

No comments:

Post a Comment