Just a few quick updates.
There is a lot going on around here lately....it just keeps adding up. I have many things to write about in detail, but that will have to wait until later.
Right now I have Kitten banty on my lap while I drink my coffee, and G is somewhere out on the property--I can NEVER find him. I swear I'm going to start making him wear a fox 40 whistle so we can communicate. Right now, I'm trying to say 'coffee is ready' and 'why the hell haven't you fed Oakley the hay I soaked last night? He is standing in his paddock wondering where his breakfast is' Gah.
G took this week off! So I am hoping we can tackle lots of projects together. That, and it's nice to see him (when he's not wandering off) and it's timely because I need the support with all that has been going on. It's also supposed to get back up into the high 20s and 30s (C) which means veg will be ripening super fast, the flies will flush again (no cheating and leaving manure around for a day), and I will spend a lot of time cleaning and refilling waterers. Algae practically grows before your eyes here.
On Saturday we had shopping to do at the farm store, and he surprised me by taking me out for lunch.
This is him teaching me to play chess:
It was really fun! Then we went to 2nd Hand Tools, and found a belt sander ($45), a really nice fiberglass ladder so I can have one for the barn that won't kill me if I drop it on myself ($50), and a push mower for $20 (it's even still sharp!!). Love the push mower. Otherwise known as a pectoral, anterior deltoid and tricep workout. I can't believe I've gotten so out of shape during these long summer work days. I need to do more scything! G bought me one a few months ago, and after struggling with technique for the first few weeks I am finally proficient enough to make use of it.
I have cancelled so many of my back rehab appointments, so scything is actually what I should be doing. It pretty well mimics one of the machines that I have to use at rehab.
I really do need to get stronger again, because we will be putting up more hay any day now. We are buying about 200 bales, and our hay guy that cuts our field might start cutting again this week. I thought it was a little early, since there isn't too much regrowth since last cutting, but he knows better than we do. I bet it won't yield too many bales though. So we may need to buy more in.
***
Fall migration has already begun, and it seems that every night we sit by the pond we are treated to nighthawks hunting on the wing.
It also seems that we are being stalked by a large Cooper's hawk, and there have been some close calls around here. Bad timing, considering Mr. Flan our big orange sky-watching rooster is very sick and I have him inside the house while I attempt to treat him for an unknown ailment.
Apparently the goldenrod in bloom isn't producing a nectar flow, so I need to start feeding the bees. There is plenty of pollen to be had, especially from our ever-flowering wall of squash by the horse paddock. I was told that squash pollen provides good nutrition for bees.
![]() |
| Friday afternoon I needed to sit and watch the sheep for a while and have socials with the wethers. |
More updates soon.



:) as usual, interesting! hope the heat won't be too bad
ReplyDelete! xxMOM