I had an amazing time in Elk River at Doc Hammill's course. I'll write more detail in the next week sometime, but for now, here are some of the highlights in photographic form.
 |
Harley the very kind farmer from Iowa who let me fawn all over his Belgians, and answered my incessant questions over four days. I mucked out after them, groomed them, petted them. I think it helped when it came to be my time to work with them in harness. By then they knew my voice, and my energy, so despite the fact that they have blinders on their bridles we had a connection. (and they are just an amazing team. well trained, well seasoned and willing to work even for novices!)
|
Most folks would be nervous driving their cars through tight spots like this!!
Waiting for my turn to drive my first horse. Moonbeam was a quarter horse thoroughbred cross. She was very strong and foreward, and had a very sensitive mouth. It was challenging to assess my level of contact with reins 3-4 times the length I'm used to. We did ok!
 |
| The super Morgan mares Val and Patti, owned and trained by Steve Wood of Wild Wood Sleigh and Carriage in Elk River, MN. I can't wait to see when I can have him come out and work with Oak and Win! Here he's driving with one hand, using a special grip--I think it's called Hungarian. The whip (not shown, in his right hand) is only used on specific spots on the horses, to act as aids to move specific body parts in certain ways. For example a light touch of the lash mimics a rider's leg, and the horse will arch sideways, which can set you up nicely for an approaching turn. I'll see if I can get a hold of any video--he has a go pro camera on his helmet. |
 |
| $800 draft work harness. Will I never find an inexpensive hobby?? |
 |
| Valentine the super Morgan mare--I drove her with her partner Patti, and the next day Val taught me how to skid a log. What an incredible little horse! She can do it all! |
 |
| Norwegian fjord pony owned by one of the workshop participants |
 |
| Charlie (blue lead rope) Tom (red lead rope) Belgian geldings from Iowa. Want!!! |
 |
About to demonstrate how to maneuver the horses over the tongue of the forecart. This is pretty technical, and there is potential for disaster if you don't do it right, or push inexperienced horses too quickly in training. Remember as they approach and then straighten out, the horse that needs to step over the tongue will be unable to see the tongue due to blinders blocking his view.
|
 |
My first time ground driving them! With a stone boat in tow.
|
 |
| Then hitching a ride ON the stone boat! |
 |
| Hello Tom! Yes you get your hay now... |
 |
| Unhitching |
 |
| Parking them at the rail after completing a tight turn after unhitching. |
What an amazing opportunity!! Thanks to G for believing in me and making this happen for me : )
 |
| Love this man!!!! : ) |
Looks amazing! Sooo happy for you :)
ReplyDeleteIt would take me all day just to untangle the work harness, never mind figuring out how to put it on a horse!
ReplyDeleteThere's a great system they teach so that doesn't tend to happen! And the fact that the boys were so welled trained they barely moved a muscle really helped. I had to get up on a mounting block to put the collar on : ) Sooooo wanted to just jump on!
ReplyDelete