Friday, June 6, 2014

Random Friday night in June

Lots on my mind this week.

Fern had a veterinary procedure that will hopefully prolong her life, but she's acting a little quiet and sullen for my liking. As I type she's preened a little, now settled down on the back of the couch across from me, so G and I can both admire her. All I can think is CANCER. Can you blame me? 

Pearl, in a rare moment of stillness. Delaware hen extraordinaire.

I've had some amazing experiences on the farm this week. The sort of 'be here now' moments that I fear my city friends cannot relate to, unless they are also ocean and sunset watchers (the benefits of living in Vancouver, for example--big city, but close to beauty if you open your eyes). 

One night when G went out after work with colleagues I decided I'd had enough of work and activity, and what I really needed was STILLNESS. I grabbed a book, pulled up a chair under the apple trees, and breathed in the moist lowland air between sips of wine from my mason jar.  The chooks milled around me, peacefully plucking grass seed from stalks high above their heads. The sheep were on their sixth or seventh rotation which happened to be right in front of me.  They regarded me with their funny little eyes, seemingly perplexed at my stillness.  I enjoyed that little bit of peace, and made a mental note to do that more often.  I watched the ducks come back in from middle field in single file, as they do, waddling slowly and determined. The words "this time is precious" went through my head, and I tried to hang on to that moment. Soon enough this chapter will end. 



Mornings are misty, dewy, serene.  Animals are happy.  The land has exploded into life.  Songbirds are already starting on second clutches.  Plants have already flowered and gone to seed. Their work is done. Only six weeks ago we had a snowstorm!  Call me a nerd for being amazed at photosynthesis, migration, and hibernation.  Respect. It really is amazing and humbling and not something I was quite as much in touch with on the west coast.  


Great news for G--a cancellation allowed him to secure a spot in the permaculture design course!! 

http://www.wholesystemsdesign.com/permaculture-design-course/

Crazy!! So he'll be away for a while in July. So happy for him!!!

More to update tomorrow.  Right now Fern wants to go watch TV.

Great egret in Middle Field with the ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment