Monday, November 25, 2013

It's November, do you know where your parka is??

We had a bit of 'weather' this week.

I was glad I had a turnout sheet for Winston.  He doesn't need any insulation at -10C ish, but the wind was significant, and the snowy sleet on Thursday was not something I wanted the horses to weather without coats on. Oakley's winter hair coat hasn't grown in as well as Winny's, so he definitely has the potential to get soaked if a storm is of significant duration.

We both woke up this morning worried about the chickens.  It was supposed to get cold over night, and have significant wind chill during the morning (-26C).  I could hear Glenn checking the weather on his phone in the dark, while we were still tucked warm in our bed.  It's just one of those things that permeates sleep and rolls around the subconscious all night, when you are concerned about your animals.

The fabulous Granny Rose.

Last night after dark we'd gone out and installed one red 250W IR lamp over Mr. Flan's flock, so at least there was something for them, but it doesn't actually heat up the coop.  Pepper flock, ducks, guineas and the Shoo shoo clan don't have heat either. 

It was about -13C this morning with about -18C windchill.  The chooks ran stiffly and desperately to eat whatever they could, and grab a drink of warm water we offered them. After that they all sought shelter from the wind, and hunkered down, looking rather miserable.

Poor Pepper...cold in the poly tunnel. Still dealing with her moult, and her foot arthritis is acting up in the cold.


It got a bit warmer this afternoon, but the chooks still had to hide from the north wind. Glenn and I were both out working on things for the majority of the day, and we have the burning faces to prove it.

Since our electric failed late last winter to the coops by the barn (the palace with Flan and the small insulated coop with the tick army (guineas) Glenn has been working on rewiring everything. We weren't expecting it to be a two day job, but it ended up being.  We had great fun out there together, despite the cold.  Music in the barn led to fun barn dancing, and some hilarious cage dancing in a stall by G.  I love that we still make each other laugh like crazy.
 
Winston was sweet and treat seeking yesterday, and he and I hung out for a while in the sand paddock while Oakley worked on his hay in the field.  It was the sweetest little dance--I'd advance, he'd back up. I'd back up, he'd advance--all in each other's personal space you could say.  Turning and wheeling and nosing and then me laughing, and hanging over his back while he turned his furry face backwards to look at me.  We did this over and over, while Glenn watched.  I really cherish this sort of interaction.  I love riding, but ground work and relationship building like this is really amazing.

I'm thinking we should get Winston one of those giant plastic treat balls--sort of like a kong for horses. You can fill them with grain or carrot slices or cookies.  He's so food motivated that I think it might be a hit.  Other than that I think it would just be fun for him to have something to act out on. If the water bucket is empty, he kicks it over.  If I leave the mounting block in the sand paddock he'll kick that around. Glenn found him tumbling my tackle box around in the barn.  Then the near disaster: I left the barn briefly and heard a yell from Glenn, then another.  Winston knocked our portable BOSE over with my IPod attached to it, and was attempting to kick it down the barn aisle.  Luckily no damage was done...

Monday:

Merciful break to the biting cold and wind today.  It's a few degrees above freezing, and the beasts are much happier--digging and running and exploring. A few of the hens looked like they were about to have dust baths in what remains of the herb bed--so I bet they'll smell like thyme and sage later. 

That reminds me--we have an invite for American Thanksgiving this week.  Our friends who raise Highland cattle, Shetland sheep, bantam cochins and copper marans have invited us to their lovely farm in Princeton.  We bought Prince and Henry from them.  Speaking of Princey, he wore my toque for a bit this morning. He's such a funny little man--he just loves attention.  I wonder if one of the things people love about baby animals so much is their playfulness, and willingness to express joy. 




Do we envy them? When in our adult lives did it become 'uncool' to express ourselves? Glenn and I seem to enjoy being around people who are appreciative and have senses fully 'switched on'.  Whether it be enjoying live music, a meal, marvelling at a flock of trumpeter swans that flew over us so low yesterday that Oakley spooked--I really think that appreciation is one of the keys to a happy existence. I was pleased that Glenn got to actually take some time this weekend to sit at our table after breakfast, and watch the chickens and ducks in the back yard.  It's amazing how rewarding that can be--sitting with a nice cup of coffee, watching over some of the fruits of your labour.

Well I know what I will be giving thanks for.  As I do every day.  Our wonderful farm and incredible animals, and my amazing sweetheart who works so hard to give us this life.  I don't need a special holiday to remind me to be grateful. 


 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts Danielle! It is strange having a thanksgiving in november with the snow, but with two days to celebrate our thankfulness, I'll take it. can't wait to be planning my trips out near you this spring. am looking at flights for one of them today. Will keep you posted on email shortly so that we don't end up in town and out of town at the wrong times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great Shana! May is looking busy for us with visitors--when were you thinking? We will be raising a glass to you this week as well, wonderful cousin, for the amazing gift you gave us.

      Delete