Unfortunately two of our hives died in early winter. Only one overwintered. I haven't inspected it yet to see if the queen is alive and laying eggs, but on these warm days of late the bees are flying as far as the barn. They've been searching for pollen, and have a habit of getting into our wild bird feed bags on the deck. To them, corn dust could be pollen. Too bad it's probably GMO corn..
The bees arrived a day early from California and I was unable to pick them up yesterday when I could have had G's help. I had my final assignment to finish and I was up until 1:30 am. At which point Captain Jack house banty started his uneasy trilling noise, and I could hear quite clearly over the rumble of the compost tea bubbler that a pack of coyotes was way too close for comfort. I think they were just across the road in the trees. Zane could smell them on the wind. I sort of wish I could have him bark on command....
So instead of worrying all night, I went out the paddock and shooed them all into the barn to be safe for the night.
It's time that I booked their shearing date. It will be 20C this week. Too hot for all of us!
So I have one more dead hive to clean out and prepare for the new bees, and later, at dusk I will put them in the hives. Hoping it goes well. Wishing G wasn't in northern MN for work tonight.
 |
| Wood tick from Oakley's nostril...and so it begins. |
 |
| Hens deciding the new duck house is for them |
 |
| Little Red showing off for the hens. |
 |
| Aqua likes some quiet time to watch the sunset before bed time |
 |
| G comes home and turns composts in his office clothes. |
 |
| Henry is always the first to start rooing. He ends up looking like Shakespeare by the time the shearer arrives. |
 |
| At a fun store I found in Wisconsin |
 |
| Our latest farm auction scores! |
No comments:
Post a Comment