Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Happy Solstice!



Well here we are, the first day of winter.  Actual winter arrived in Minnesota this past weekend, where we experienced the coldest temperatures in three years.  We hit -31 Celsius, and -45 F wind chills, whatever that is.  After five years here I still can't wrap my head around Fahrenheit. All I know is I had three layers on bottom, five on top, a balaclava and a big fluffy hat.  It takes a lot just to get dressed in the morning.  It sort of makes me laugh at how my Vancouver friends are freaking out about the arrival of snow and a few days of subzero temperatures.  Yes my friends. Time for insulated boots and to get out of your yoga pants.  Funny (or not funny) how they don't bother to worry about me and the actual dangerous conditions I work in every day here, and how our animals fare. I suppose we all tuck into our own life bubbles. But I miss the empaths in my life. My mom and Albert send texts and emails when the weather network alerts them to incoming storms in Minnesota.  They both lived in central Ontario in the past so know full well how harsh winter can be.

We had several manic days of exhausting work in the deep snow.  Our coops are still not really Minnesota proof.  I haul water several times a day for the ducks.  They can't keep themselves warm if they get dehydrated.  I was really mad when I saw that a few of our coops hit -14 C after all we've done. Not good enough.  So frustrating.

I have a few more detailed updates to share soon, but for now I'm just finally seated in my antique chair by the woodstove, and we're planning to head out late to see the new Star Wars movie.  We bought G a new car today!  Very pleased that he will be driving something safer than a 12 year old car.  It's a Subaru Crosstrek with all wheel drive.

That's all for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment