It's hard to reintegrate into farm life when I can barely keep my thought processes going, let alone be responsible for 80+ animals. Yesterday was the first day back. After my brother's funeral I flew out to BC to spend some time with my mom and stepdad. I saw my closest friend in BC, and spent some time alone on the beach, where I need to be. I slept every afternoon, but I'm still tired.
I can't tell our animals or plants to just stop needing care. Even while I was back in Canada I was looking forward to having chores and activity and things to do. But now that I'm back I'm sort of stuck, not really sure where to start. Yesterday I did some weeding, watering, pulled some fencing, mucked the stalls, scrubbed water buckets. I examined every cabbage and broccoli leaf and removed the worms that are eating them into swiss cheese and picked raspberries because Glenn asked me to.
This morning I rescued a terrified garter snake from the chook palace after the guineas started stalking it. I did basic morning chores. Kicked the two broody hens off their eggs to make sure they ate and drank. Other than that I haven't done much.
Junie the red sussex hen wouldn't get off her perch yesterday morning, and I figured out she was dead lame. Since she has been laying very steadily for months now I am guessing she has a stress fracture (laying hens' bones become very fragile due to calcium loss) She's doing better after a night of cage rest and metacam, but I was very worried that she wasn't drinking or eating much. Very happy to report that she's brighter this afternoon. Unfortunately she sat on my lap all afternoon and I pretty much got nothing done or had no interest in getting up anyway.
But fortunately, she knew that was exactly what I needed.

No comments:
Post a Comment