We're starting many new projects. G is resetting posts in the paddock and putting new ones in for the expansion. Incredibly hard work even for a big strong guy like him. We have winterizing to do in all of the coops and runs. We've learned new things every season, so we still change up the designs and materials. It will be really nice when we can do quick seasonal adjustments, instead all of this work.
Yesterday we got another 200 bales put up in the barn. Since I'm still recovering from my back injury, Glenn and the two men got it all done without an ounce of work on my part. While they sweated away and stacked the hay up to the rafters, I was having a driving lesson with Oakley. Too bad the two events completely overlapped, and G didn't get to take the lesson with me. Next weekend we will go to the coach's farm and practice some log skidding out in his beautiful forest, just like we did last year for our anniversary.
I feel pretty good about having a full barn. We should have between 450-500 bales in there.
I have to get into the bee hives at least one more time. I have to remove the mite treatment strips after they've been in there for six weeks. I have to get into the very bottom box to find a frame that has pollen in it, and move it to the top box. The reason for this is that in the spring, the bees will be mostly up top, and the nurse bees need pollen right away in order to make the 'milk' that the larvae need to grow in. That's IF any of them survive the winter....
We are pretty thrilled to have finally bought an Alaskan Mark III chainsaw mill. Photos eventually after we get it all put together. We still have the two giant poplars in the yard where we had them dropped back in the spring.
I'm still harvesting various plants and seeds for saving and eating. I haven't taken all of the calendula or hyssop since there isn't much else for the bees out there right now. It's good to always plant more so we have plenty to share with wildlife.
Well that's it for now. I have to get back out there. G is digging more posts and rerouting the electric for the chicken palace, and I promised him a gallon of tea.
No comments:
Post a Comment