Spring on the farm.
 |
| Our Middle Field seasonal wetland filling up! |
Shearing day, April 16th.
 |
| I usually stay out of the way, but Starburst freaks out so badly, it seems to help if I distract and pet her a bit. She has a gorgeous fleece, but unfortunately a lot was left on her (likely due to her behaviour) so she probably had under a 4 pound fleece this year. Oh well! |
I took the opportunity to trim all of their hooves, check body condition and eyelid colour (paleness can indicate anemia due to parasites) and address a few issues in the wethers (prepuce ulcers) and some urine scald on Starburst's tail that G noticed. I was able to remove the muck, hair and dead skin on the underside of the tail, clean it up with betadine and put a protective coating of udder balm on the ulcerated skin. I've been trying to get a look at that tail for a while, and completely forgot when G noticed. Good thing he did, because that could have been a perfect spot for fly strike...
The dreaded MAJOH (maggots)
Shetlands rarely have issues like that, since they have naturally short tails, being a primitive type breed. But for some reason I have noticed that she doesn't lift her tail very much when she urinates, so it will be something we need to keep a closer eye on.
 |
| Big scared eyes, Mama Ewe |
 |
| Mama Barley, she's about 100 pounds! The shearer was wondering why it took both G and I to catch her and move her into the shearing area, until he had hands on and realized what a big ewe she was under all of her fleece. |
 |
| Post-shearing fighting |
After shearing Henry was beaten up by the others for hours. He was open mouth breathing, his tongue was blue, and it took him quite a while to settle down. Shearing was supposed to happen at 8 am, but the shearer showed up at 11, and didn't finish until around 2 pm. By then it was hot out and exactly the type of weather you don't want during shearing. Henry probably would have been fine if the flock didn't chase him and beat on him for so long. He's a pretty bossy little wether, so in some ways I didn't feel too badly that he was getting back what he gives on a daily basis. But of course it was my job to protect him, so I sat in the paddock in a chair in the shade, sipped a glass of cold Gewurtztraminer and petted him while keeping the others away.
 |
Some of the flock were very cold the week after shearing when the weather changed again. Shivering and looking miserable. Prince didn't get up to greet me one morning, and didn't get up for morning hay. He sounded a little sniffly. Luckily he was able to keep warm with the extra hay and food and lamp I provided, otherwise it could have turned into pneumonia, not an uncommon problem after shearing. Some folks will feed corn to add extra calories so they can keep warm, but corn is dangerous to add to the diet if they aren't used to it, so they just got an extra scoop of the pellets and oat mix they get daily, as well as extra legume hay.
Spring weather in Minnesota always makes shearing difficult! Shear too early, they get cold. Too late, they get heat stress and then are fully naked for when the biting insects arrive full force. |
 |
| Henry not so sure about the heat lamp. But he ended making a nest right under it. |
 |
| Look how I can open the gate while you're not looking! Winston the cheeky monkey |
 |
| Tough to see in the photo, but two sheep 'nests under the light. I was happy that they were taking comfort! |
 |
| Granny Rose squeezed in through the gate when I went in, and later G discovered that she'd eaten the tops off of most of the peas....oops. |
 |
The loaner manure spreader. Sadly the neighbours took it back.
|
 |
| G spreading composted manure on the riding ring. |
 |
| Starting to let Mr. Soapy out to range under supervision, as long as he doesn't attack my legs... |
 |
| Winston's new (used) saddle! The one I bought last year was just too tight on his withers. |
 |
| New hens Myrtle and Siberia have been laying up here in the hay loft. |
 |
G hooking up the electric again.
Now that the grass is always greener on the other side, we need to make sure the horses stay where they are supposed to. Oakley knows what's up. |
 |
| G doing some modifications on the pocket pond swale. |
 |
| The Meadow Creature broadfork--love it!! |
 |
| Nice clean sheep enclosure! G got up early to do the once yearly muck out. |
 |
| I love mustards! |
No comments:
Post a Comment