I have several blog posts started/imagined--but unfortunately the many updates will have to wait. During morning duties today I discovered something that will change the course of today, and possibly for many weeks or months ahead.
Our frost free hydrant is frozen. (insert sob or expletives or various other tantrum types here)
It had a bit of a leak last night, which I fixed, but not before it leaked water down into the ground. So we are assuming that it froze somewhere lower down in the pipe where my fantastic heat tape can't thaw it.
We need a LOT of water out in the barn. We have to soak all of the hay we feed the horses. They require multiple buckets per day to drink. The sheep don't go through much but I have to keep it fresh or they won't drink it.
Our propane torch wasn't functioning at max so it was unable to fix the problem. Our next plan is to put a large oil-filled radiator in the tack room where the hydrant is located, and close the door and hope for the best.
The forecast is actually calling for temperatures around freezing or even a few degrees above next week! Normally that would aggravate me since the snow melt makes a terrible mess and then the re-freeze turns everything into a skating rink. But it might just save us from this hydrant issue.
![]() |
| -24C |
We didn't have our farm meeting and planning date at the restaurant in St. Croix Falls yet, But installing a new frost free hydrant and pipe going down deeper past the frost line will definitely be on the list. I wonder if the concrete floor will have to be torn up?
I wonder what 'want' versus 'need' projects that will supercede?
$$$$
Good thing we are creative and very good at repurposing, re-using, inventing, and salvaging.
Please give me a break Murphy. I'm working my ass off here!!

No comments:
Post a Comment